Saturday, April 5, 2008

Week 33


We're starting to get things checked off our list of to-dos before the baby comes which I'm relieved about. This past Tuesday, Emile and I toured the hospital, Rex, that I'll be delivering at. Rex is about 35 minutes from our house in Raleigh. We were pretty impressed with how progressive the hospital was -- they have available birthing balls, tubs, birthing bars, etc. Our little girl will get to room-in with us the entire time -- she won't need to leave the room unless there is something wrong (which hopefully is not the case) or I ask the nurses to watch her if I want to take a shower or something (if Emile isn't there). The rooms are all LDR (labor, delivery and recovery) although you're only in there for recovery for about an hour and a half before moving on to the post-delivery rooms for the remainder of our stay (1-2 days for vaginal deliver, 3-4 for c-section). I was glad to hear that electronic fetal monitoring is not required the whole time I'm in the hospital -- if things are going well with both baby and I, they'll only do intermittent monitoring which means I'll have more flexibility to be up and moving around (better to help labor progress than to be laying in the bed the whole time hooked to a monitor). They also have lactation consultants available and encourage breastfeeding within the first hour after delivery. Overall, we were really happy with the hospital and have no reservations about delivering there. I'm so glad to have the tour out of the way.

Today, Emile finished touching up the paint in the nursery and we both put the crib together. I'm so excited to start decorating. The paint job that he and my dad did looks great and we're really happy with the chair rail. Here's a sneak peak at us putting the crib together. Once I have the room fully decorated, I'll post photos again.



The big pregnancy issues for me this week have been round ligament pain and a skin rash. On Sunday night, I woke up to take one of my many bathroom breaks when I got this horrible pain shooting down the left side of my belly. It then emanated over to my right side. Nothing I did would make it go away -- I was walking around the bedroom and house, breathing like in the birthing videos, rubbing my belly etc. I started to get a little worried that it was a contraction and I was going into pre-term labor but it lasted for about 2-3 minutes so I didn't think it was an actual contraction. It eventually went away but I didn't sleep well after because I kept checking the clock to see if it happened again (and if so, when). Luckily, it didn't. I spoke with the doctor the next day and she confirmed that it was mostly like just round ligament pain which is just caused by the muscles around my uterus stretching etc. Little things like moving the wrong way etc. can spark it. She was actually surprised that this was the first time I had it happen, at 32 weeks. So far, it hasn't happened again. Given how much I thought it hurt, I figure I'm in a world of trouble when I actually start having contractions :)

I've also started developing skin rashes at random times throughout the day and at different places on my body. Mostly I get it on my neck, underarms, forearms, upper chest, hands and feet. It itches and is driving me nuts (although on the scale of things, it could be worse). The doctor confirmed that it is normal for pregnant women to randomly get skin rashes at this stage in pregnancy. Pretty much the only thing to do for it is put Calamine lotion or something similar. It should go away after I give birth!

Our little girl is probably about 4.5 to 5 lbs now (I feel like I'm getting huge overall). She will gain more than half her birth weight in the next seven weeks. She'll begin to move less now as she runs out of room and curls up with knees bent, chin resting on chest and arms and legs crossed.

No comments: