Saturday, March 29, 2008

Week 32

My big news for this week -- I'm now snoring to Emile's dismay and according to him, like a freight train. I'm not stuffed up or anything -- just snoring. I'm sure it's because the baby is putting more pressure on my chest/body now. I think he may have to get ear plugs soon. Or he's just getting a taste of how frequently I'm getting up each night anyways to go to the bathroom and how much we'll be waking up when the baby comes anyways :)

Our little girl is probably about 4-4.5 pounds now! Her irises are now responsive to light, dilating and contracting as needed. Due to deposits of fat under the skin, her skin is now pink rather than red. Her nails are now long enough to reach to the tip of her fingers or beyond and may need trimming as soon as she's born so she doesn't scratch herself. A loud noise near me may actually cause our little one to jump.

On Monday, I had my 31 week appointment, this time with Dr. Gaines. My mom was still in town that morning so I had her come with me. She got to hear our daughter's heartbeat with the Doppler. I'm sure she enjoyed having that opportunity given how far away we live from each other. It was nice having her be there for that. Dr. Gaines confirmed that I am feeling Braxton Hicks contractions. He stated that if I have more than 7 in one hour I should lie down on my left side for another hour and count if again I have more than 7. If I do, I'm supposed to call them but so far I'm not having them that frequently, maybe 4-5 an hour and not every hour. I also spoke with Dr. Gaines about the swelling I'm encountering occasionally now. As expected, there isn't much I can do about it but drink enough water and rest up. He did confirm that my bloodwork, weight gain and urine samples didn't indicate I had pre-eclampsia which is great. So I'm just stuck with the typical pregnancy swelling for awhile. I did stop wearing my rings last Sunday. He also confirmed that she's still head down. Overall, everything is going as expected and I'm right on track. I didn't like Dr. Gaines, however, as much as the last two doctors; however, he may just take some time to get used to.

This past Wednesday, Emile and I started watching our birthing DVDs. I'm so relieved to finally be looking into these items. As I've mentioned before, we decided to DVDs from Carolina Childbirth Classes and then meet with the instructor for a 2 hour session after because all the classes were full at the hospital when we moved here and the class dates for Carolina Childbirth were too close to my due date. The DVDs are just recordings of her at home classes. So far the items she's taught are things I've already read in the books I've gotten but it's still useful to listen to her go over them again. We're both glad though that we didn't end up driving the hour to go to her class -- so far the DVD is doing the trick.

On Wednesday, the guy who put up the chair rail and backer board in the downstairs rooms of our house came to put up chair rail in the nursery for us. It looks great. Now all we need to do is prime and paint it -- then the room is ready for decorating!! I can't wait!

Today I bought our cloth diapers! I'm so excited to finally have that taken care of. There is a Women's Birth Center in Chapel Hill that sells them so I didn't have to order them on-line. After doing a lot of research and asking around, I decided to start with the following items:

  • 24 chinese pre-fold cloth diapers
  • 6 Kissaluvs newborn fitted cloth diapers
  • 2 BumGenius 3.0 cloth diapers
  • 6 newborn prowraps
  • 4 small Bummis Super Whisper Wraps
  • 24 flannel wipes
  • 1 concentrated Kissaluve diaper lotion potion
  • 3 Snappis
  • 1 Bumgenius diaper sprayer
  • 1 diaper pail
  • 2 diaper pail wet bags
  • 1 wet bag for diaper bag

If you're curious as to what all these items are, check out the following websites:

http://www.cottonbabies.com/

http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/

No comments: